As we head into 2013, we wanted to provide a short snapshot of some of the healthcare and life sciences PE deals we noted for December 2012. Several market segments are represented.
1. Mansa Capital, a Boston-based private equity firm, announced it had raised $30 million in anchor funding for a debut high-growth healthcare private equity fund.
2. GI Partners, a mid-market private equity firm headquartered in Menlo Park, Calif., announced the sale of Plum Healthcare Group, a skilled nursing operator, to Bay Bridge Capital Partners.
3. Perrigo, a global healthcare supplier headquartered in Allegan, Mich., announced it had completed the acquisition of Cobrek Pharmaceuticals in a go private transaction. Perrigo acquired the remaining stake in Cobrek, a privately owned, venture-backed research and development company based in Chicago, for $45 million.
4. CHG Healthcare Services, one of the largest providers of healthcare staffing in the country headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, was acquired by Los Angeles-based private equity firms Ares Management LLC and Leonard Green and Partners, according to The Salt Lake Tribune. They acquired CHG from Boston-based private equity firm J.W. Childs Associates.
5. Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing headquartered in New York, announced it acquired JHP Pharmaceuticals, a specialty pharmaceutical company that acquires, develops, manufactures and sells sterile injectable products headquartered in Parsippany, N.J., for $195 million. Warburg Pincus acquired JHP Pharmaceuticals from JHP Holdings LLC, an entity majority-owned by Morgan Stanley Principal Investments.
Throughout 2013 we will be doing a Healthcare & Life Sciences Private Equity Deal Tracker for our readers. If you are aware of deals to add that we haven’t highlighted, please email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.